Book Conditions / Information
Book and Dust Jacket (dj) Conditions:
- Fine: The book (and jacket) looks to
be in the same condition as when purchased. Be wary of this
description: some sellers use it too liberally; it is not uncommon
for used books to be in this condition.
- Very Good: The book or jacket is not
far from the fine condition, but there are some signs of wear from
use. Any damage will be mentioned in the description
- Good: This is the condition of most
used books and jackets (dj); there is obvious wear through use, but
no obvious misuse. Any damage will be mentioned in the
- Fair: There is significant wear to the
book, especially the covers (boards). Individual points of
damage will be mentioned in the description.
- Poor: The book is generally poor
condition and is not look presentable, however, the text is still
readable. This book condition is often described as a
- Hardback: Along with paperbacks, the
common format of book publications. Usually the book will
first be published as a hardback, then paperback. The covers
(boards) will be stiff and often be covered in a dust jacket (dj)
used to advertise the contents of the book.
- Soft back: Usually a larger version of
paperback with better quality materials, often the cover is quite
- Trade Paperback: Usually better
materials have been used than the on a paperback and often the book
- Mass Market Paperback: The most common
form of non-hardback book, cheap, small and usually produced in
- Paper Covers: These are usually small
print runs and the cover is literally paper or light card.
Often these books are produced during a time of limited resources
such as wartime.
- Pictorial Covers: A form of hard-back,
often there will be no dust jacket and as suggested by the name, the
cover will be pictorial; often photographic
- Cloth Covers: Often an older or better
quality hard back, and sometimes before the common use of dust
jackets, the covers are covered in cloth material
- Leather: The best quality hard
back. The leather may cover the whole (or part of the) book;
this will be clarified in the description of the book (full
leather: covers the entire book; 3/4 leather covers the
spine and extends a little out onto the cover. Each corner is
also covered in triangular fashion; 1/2 leather covers the
spine and extends a little way onto the cover).
- 64mo: up to 3" tall (7.5cm)
- 48mo: 3" to 4" tall (7.5 -
- 32mo: 4" to 5" tall (10 -
- 24mo: 5" to 5 3/4" tall
(12.75 - 14.5cm)
- 16mo: 5 3/4" to 6 3/4" tall
(14.5 - 17.25cm)
- 12mo: 6 3/4" to 7 3/4" tall
(17.25 - 19.85cm)
- 8vo: 7
3/4" to 9 3/4" tall (19.75 - 24.75cm)
- 4to: 9
3/4" to 12" tall (24.75 - 30.5cm)
- Folio: 12" to
15" tall (30.5 - 38cm)
- Elephant Folio: 15" to 23"
tall (38 - 58.5cm)
- Atlas Folio:
23" to 25" tall (58.5 - 63.5cm)
- Double Elephant: 25" to 50"
tall (63.5 - 127cm)
- dj: dust jacket
- b/w: Black & white
- pp: pages
- o/w: otherwise
- o/s: Out-size, i.e., large
- Ex-lib: Formerly a library book
(usually with various library markings)
Site built and maintained by Professional
Digital Services, Inc.
1882 Pearl of Great Price. More info.....
woodcut/ lithographs/ etc. print collection now available. More info...
Price drastically reduced!
Reprint info and Waiting list: please click on
Coming soon: Two religious prints from the 1700s.
|Rare Schaub silver LDS Sacrament cup. More